.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, February 02, 2006

 

How I Found My Purpose: Chapter 7

The three weeks I spent determining whether or not I was cut out to be an entrepreneur were extremely draining. It felt like being thrown against the wall like a piece of overcooked spaghetti, day after day. I learnt a lot about providing psychological safety for sensitive people when doing group work. By the end, I found out that I had plenty of the required stubornness, sass, and spirit to run my own business. I simply couldn't see myself working my way up a corporate ladder, so it looked like it was start my own business or die trying.

The only problem was that I didn't know what I would sell. I was going to start a virtual assistant business, but only because I didn't have any better ideas. Then I sat down with one of the program advisors for coffee and coaching, and confessed my confusion. He asked the right questions, uncovering my passions for improv, working with youth, and all things gifted. Then he said, "Well, why not have a coaching business working with gifted people, and throw in some improv-based workshops?"

Click. It was as if the universe was rearranging itself around me, slotting all the pieces of the puzzle into place. I can't adequately describe the peace and clarity of that moment. Of course! It was so obvious, it had been staring me in the face all along. It felt daring, and crazy, and exciting, and also good and real and sane. I felt the rightness of this path down to my very core. Everything I had done had prepared me to recognize this as My Purpose and to throw my whole weight behind it now that I had found it. I was on my way.

Technorati tags:

Comments:
Oh, that is awesome! My purpose has been coming together more clearly and clearly for the last four years. I'm definately on the path. I had a moment of clarity about two and a half years ago when I decided to go to grad school (which I thought I would never do.) Every day in the program confirmed my decision. That felt awesome. I'm longing for a regular job with health benefits, but just today I thought, well, I might as well do some work on my own in the mean time!
 
bravo jo_jo
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?