.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, July 29, 2005

 

Communication

I had a real surprise today when I listened to a voicemail I had left myself reminding me to do something. (Does anyone else do this?! It's one of my top tips for keeping all the things I'm juggling on track.) Anyway, when I was leaving the message, at one point I took a huge pause as I was thinking about something else and changing track to a different emotional level. I did this deliberately to make a specific point to myself when I heard it again.

When I picked up the message later, I listened for the pause....and there wasn't one! No noticeable difference in tempo. I am *amazed*. I had no idea that there might be such a huge difference between my experience of speech and the actual sound of what I say.

Now that I know, what to do? How many conversations have been warped by this? Hundreds? Thousands? Am I not leaving any space for other people to follow me when I change track? This is wild. I want to think about it for a few days, then start experimenting! Watch this space.

Technorati tags:

Comments:
Indeed.

Based on my own experience, I call this phenomenon mental shorthand, because I use it to shorten my comments during conversation when a) I make references or allusions I expect other people to know and, (b) I leap into divergent side-topics based on the allusions/references I make.

Upside? It can be funny as hell and extremely engaging intellectually when I encounter someone who does this to me while I'm doing it to them. (However, to be candid, I find a breaking-in period is often beneficial in order to establish a consistent verbal rhythm of throwing and catching, so to speak.)

Downside? Unless I monitor this mental shorthand closely, it can easily transform me into an assassin of linear conversation, which dramatically alientates the more traditional conversationalists I encounter.

** btw, I'm glad to discover your blog, due to fact the online information related to anything characterized as Adult Giftedness is oftentimes thin gruel (sadly).

By all means carry on posting your entries.

You have an interested and appreciative readership.
 
Thanks, hero! What an encouraging thing to say. I've never been known to stop talking, particularly when I know someone is listening, so I anticipate that this blog will continue as long as I do.

I like your phrase "assassin of linear conversation". I think I'm going to personify it for Halloween!

Best,
Joanna
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?